In Their Words: A Genealogist’s Translation Guide to Polish, German, Latin, and Russian Documents – Volume II: Russian
by Jonathan D. Shea and William F. Hoffman
Revised Edition: ISBN 978-0-9631579-9-7
$35.00 + postage and handling
Written by the authors of Following the Paper Trail and the Polish and Latin volumes of the In Their Words series, the book includes:
- 88 Russian-language documents and extracts from American and European sources, analyzed and translated. They include extracts from birth, death, and marriage records of various formats; gazetteer entries; revision lists; obituaries; population registers; military service records; passports and much more
- Sections on Russian grammar, phonetics and spelling
- Information on how to locate records in America and Europe
- A chapter on gazetteers and how to use the, with ten (10) maps showing Russia’s changing borders and divisions. There are also Letter Writing Guides for Russian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian.
- An 80-page vocabulary with over 3,700 entries featuring archaic terms and spellings most likely to be found in records but rarely included in modern dictionaries.
- A 26- page list of over 700 Christian and Jewish given names with equivalents in English, Latin, Lithuanian and Polish.
This book is soft-cover, perfect bound, with 520 bindery pages, 8.5″ x 11″, weight 2 lb., 11 oz.