In Their Words: A Genealogist’s Translation
Guide to Polish, German, Latin and Russian
Documents. Volume 1: Polish
by Jonathan D. Shea and William F. Hoffman
3rd edition – ISBN 978-0-9985857-4-1
$35.00 + postage and handling
The book’s features include:
- Over 60 Polish-language documents and extracts from American and European sources, analyzed and translated; they include extracts from birth, death, and marriage records of various formats; gazetteer entries; revision lists; obituaries; population registers; military service records; passports; etc.
- Sections on Polish grammar, phonetics, and spelling
- Information on how to locate records in America and Europe, including contact information for various archives in Poland and neighboring countries
- A chapter on gazetteers and how to use them, with 12 maps showing Poland’s changing borders and administrative subdivisions
- A vocabulary list with over 2,500 entries, featuring terms most likely to be found in records, including many overlooked by most dictionaries
- A 14-page index to facilitate looking up specific items
This book is softcover, perfect bound, with 384 bindery pages (viii + 376), 8.25 x 11 inches.